Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2011 00:18:10 -0400
Allen, Dennis welcome to the club
This welcome is of course mixed, you have my sympathy

If you ever have bees again it will be more difficult
For example, the equipement is contaminated, but there is no
point to replacing ALL because you will never get ALL the virus,
so you only gain a year or 2.
OTOH it is probably worthwhile to reduce the virus load,
do a bleach spray, and be sure to burn any with dead brood

Very good description Dennis, matchs what I have seen very well
Did you say where you thought it came from?

>last year, the varroa count ballooned.
Did you do a wash later?  Do you know how much is "ballooned"

One other thing, if either of you can bring yourself to do it?
Scrape a feacal spot, if any exist, re-hydrate, and sniff
If it knocks your socks off, as I suspect that it will,
then describe for our amusment

Bill's suggestion has merit IMO, but I'm not aware
of any studies  ccd vrs formic (in any sense)

But last year 2/3 of my hives got no formic, lost 1/11 (in that yard)
It did sort of look like a ccd event(disorganized weak cluster, no corpses)

If anyone reading this had a ccd event when formic was on or recent,
the please disabuse me of this opinion (that ccd does not like formic)

dave

BTW 1st pollen
Tillsonburg April 9
  FF april 10?? likely