From:
James Ralston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 18:27:39 -0400
On July 13, Ian Watson said:

> I always put either empty comb, or foundation BELOW a full super.
> The full one then tends to act as bait.  Also, the full super is
> likely full of bees and so the bees draw out the foundation much
> faster.

Another trick is to use an internal feeder (a bucket that goes
upside-down over the hole in the inner lid) as "bait".  That way, even
if you put the empty comb/foundation on top, you'll still get the bees
up in it, as they'll have to cross the fresh foundation super to get
to the feeder.

Two weekends ago, I put a second deep super (filled with foundation)
on top of my hive's existing deep super.  I then put the inner lid on
the second super, put the feeder on the inner lid, put another (empty)
deep super on top of the inner lid (enclosing the feeder), and then
put the telescoping cover on top of the whole shebang.  When I checked
on them last weekend, all I was hoping was that they had at least
started to draw out the foundation.  What I found instead was that had
drawn out probably about 80% of the foundation, and were already
storing honey in some of the frames.  Wow!

If only that Coke vending machine in the lunchroom made *me* as
productive...

James