From:
Richard Blohm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 16:27:00 -0400

<< I have this problem as well.  I can't start breeding until about the
 middle of June because there are no drones till then. I wonder if anyone
 has any experience of keeping a colony headed by an drone laying queen
 alive over the winter?

Yes you can winter over a virgin queen to produce Drones in early spring.
The book that best describes it is;

Practical Queen Production in the North
by Carl A. Jurica, Ph.D.
      325 Wells Street
       Johnstown, NY  12095

You can get the book directly from him or try Beekeeping Education Service at

Good Luck   Rich B