From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 08:04:13 -0800
PO Gustafsson wrote:

>  But is there anyone that can honestly say they can breed for higher
> honey production without loosing the bees ability to handle mite
> infection?

Excellent point, and in my experience, up 'til last year, that was the
case.  Resisistant bees produced poorly.  Then two years ago I finally
started getting from my own operation, and others, queens whose bees
could do it all.  Strongly mite resistant, and the best buildup, brood
nests, and honey production I've seen.  I haven't seen any "cost" for
their varroa control.

Danny Weaver, with 5000 colonies, hasn't used any varroa treatment of
any sort for several years.  After hard losses, his bees are doing great.
So the answer to your question is "yes."
Randy Oliver