From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2011 10:19:36 -0700

> >Another cheap shot at Aussie bees.

For the record, I am on good terms with both of the Aussie bee exporters,
and would never take a "cheap shot" at  them nor the Aussie bees.

> Consider this Randy:
> Our beekeeping die offs correspond with the rush for the gold in almonds.
> Adee & Hack problems started after sending bees into almonds!

As I've suggested several times before, Bob, if one can't handle running
bees into almonds, then one should stay home!  We Californian's don't need
out of state beekeepers bringing in thousands of sick colonies to die here!
 I promise that I will never compete with you in Missouri!

The point is, Bob, that a number of your conclusions simply don't hold
water, any more than when you claimed that it was the new diesel fuel
additive that was causing the collapse of hives when they arrived in Calif.
 On this List, you have over the years blamed CCD on nearly anything, at one
time or another, except alien abduction.  And also waffled back and forth as
to whether CCD actually exists.

Some of us are more diligent at sticking to the evidence, and trying to get
at the root of the problems, verifiable by measurable data and
experimentation.

To date, there has been only one single trial in which collapse that fit CCD
"symptoms" was induced in a controlled setting--the Beeologics trial which I
ran.  The results suggest a virus/nosema/chilling combination, in accordance
with many other colony collapse events.  I do not feel that you and I differ
substantially in that assessment.

But as we both know, quite a number of "CCD" claims are the result of
nothing more than poor varroa control, overuse of miticides, poor nutrition,
overcrowding, and other management issues.  It is these management issues
that I choose to focus on, as they are something that beekeepers have
control over.

Randy Oliver