Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2009 17:55:25 GMT
> Currently, more than 50 components in the ice and in the enclosed gas of a polar ice core are measured. Such analyses have enabled us to trace back climate change in Antarctica to at least 740,000 years ago and reconstruct the concentrations of carbon dioxide and methane, the two most important greenhouse gases after water vapor.

The ice core drilling also helps answer what plants prevailed at different times based on pollen count and presence at different depths in the ice.  [Pollen is wind-carried around the world and gets trapped in the ice.]

I listened to a interview with a scientist on NPR not too long ago.  Apparently, all the livestock in the US contributes more to the greenhouse, effect by releasing lots of methane, than the automobiles.  Humans going vegetarian would impact the climate more than eliminating every automobile, according to this scientist.

Waldemar