From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 04:17:34 -0600
Although, today, there are more beekeeping sites on the Internet than any of
us -- AFAIK -- care to visit, a decade or so ago, this was not the case.
Internet beekeeping sites at that time could be counted on one hand.  At
that time, Internet access was difficult to find, and fidonet, Compuserve
and other dialup networks were more popular with those who were not
fortunate enough to have academic or computer industry connections, but
still wanted to network using the keyboard.  Affordable computers were
limited in graphical capabilities, modem speeds were slow, connections were
often made over long distance lines, and as a result, other than picture and
file swapping, most such content was text-based.  Even the web, when it
first came out was mostly text-based.  Lynx was the first browser I recall,
and when I first got a copy of Cello, then Mosaic, I remember there were not
a lot of graphical sites to visit.

At any rate, Andy Nachbaur was a pioneer among beekeepers who adopted
computers, and he ran his Beenet bulletin board out of Los Banos before the
Internet became widely available and popular.  As with many others who
started out on bulletin boards, Andy migrated to the Internet as quickly as
public access became practical and affordable.  A quick search shows Andy
showed up here on BEE-L in September 1994, and became a frequent
contributor.

As the Internet became more functional and popular, Andy kept his Beenet
bulletin board running, but also had a website running at http://beenet.com
by December 1998.  After Andy died, in 1999, his site remained on the web
for two years, then the URL went to another owner and his site disappeared
from the web.

A number of beekeepers who knew Andy have expressed interest in finding a
copy of his website to keep around as a memento.  Copies of his site have
always been available at the Internet Archive site --
http://web.archive.org/collections/web.html , however, although the final
copy of the site, and some earlier versions, can be seen at the Archive,
what we see there lacks some of the original content due to the way the site
was constructed, and its reliance on aps and content loaded from remote
sites.   Some of those sources are no longer in existence or have changed
their services and/or URLs, leaving some holes in Andy's pages.  The Wayback
Machine also does best with simple pages, and although it tries its best, it
has some problems with complex or non-existent content.

Some time back, I tried reconstructing the site from what is available on
the Internet Archive, but gave up on it and started looking for the original
source code for Andy's site with the help of some of his friends at Los
Banos.  They've looked for some time now, but it seems that no one has come
across it.

Chances are it is gone forever, but for those who would like to take a peek
at what can be seen, visit
http://web.archive.org/web/20010208162430/http://beenet.com/ for a trip back
to February 2001.

allen