From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 09:28:24 -0700
> As a personal goal of mine is to get
> beekeepers to open up their hives with ventilation (winter and summer), I
> think it is worthwhile to provide a word or two on the difference in
> perspectives, and why I think (despite Allen's worthwhile experience and
> thoughts) that beekeepers should adopt the position that 'cold does not
hurt
> bees'.

I think we need to be objective here.  If viewed from a true/false
perspective, the statement: 'cold does not hurt bees', easily fails the
test of truth, and thus must be considered a false statement.

Cold does indeed hurt bees, and under some circumstances will kill them.
The fact that under many conditions strong clusters of healthy bees can
endure cold does not mean that it does not hurt them, nor even that it is
good for them.

The same is true of ventilation.  Appropriate amounts of ventilation are
beneficial to bees, but excess amounts can be deadly.

In either case, the size and condition of the honeybee cluster determines
the degree of tolerance.  Weak, small clusters are much more susceptible to
the effects of either excess cold or excess ventilation.  Baby nucs for
mating, for example are sometimes killed or damaged by unexpected cold
accompanied by wind.

I know what you are trying to say and can see that you are
(over)simplifying for effect.  I can understand using hyperbole for
emphasis.  My concern is that inexperienced listeners who may lack
perspective will believe things that are not universally true.  Tyros often
do have weak colonies and will wonder why their bees died if they think
that they do not need to mitigate ambient conditions, even in locations
that are somewhat south.

Wrapping and/or insulation can be beneficial in many circumstances for
protecting weaker colonies, and these are useful tools that any good
beekeeper should consider under appropriate circumstances.

FWIW, we do wrap with insulation, but also provide upwards ventilation.
This may seem to be contradictory -- blowing hot and cold with the same
mouth -- but we use the best effects of both to help the bees achieve
comfortable conditions.

allen