From:
Dennis Murrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 08:56:59 -0700
Hello Everyone,

I have treated some of my hives with powdered sugar in the past. Using a
plastic bottle with holes in the cap, I dusted each frame individually.
It is very labor intensive. But at least the bees and the queen remained
in the hive.

I did try to use a bee blower to inject powdered sugar into the entrance
and treat the whole hive without moving any frames. It was extremely
messy. My method was relatively ineffective but probably pretty comical.
Maybe I should have had someone tape it for one of those video shows :>).

I am sure someone could come up with a portable, effective method to
quickly treat a hive without tearing the hive apart. I do have some
evidence that a screened bottom board may not be necessary as the mites
cannot reattach themselves to the bees and quickly die when treated with
powdered sugar.

Best Wishes
Dennis Murrell