From:
Rimantas Zujus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 18:54:37 +0200
Hi, Beefriends

What do you meen with deformed wings?

I succeeded to see some my young bees almost without wings in the August. It
means at least 3 or 4 Varroa mites are fed by this young lady. (According to
dr. Kublickas). Usually I treat my bees twice a year: in early spring and in
August/September. Dr. Kublickas advises to treat bees among every nectar
flow and to have them strong for wintering (not like mine this year). Dr.
Kublickas stated that chemical treatment shortens bee age by 50% and he
supports using of natural means for e.g. formicacid. He gave an example of a
jay. The bird takes an ant to its beak and rubs own feathers.

When one bee's wing "looks" back (as usually does) and another "looks" ahead
it means they have tracheal mites (Dr. Kublickas). I'm not expierenced with
this mite.

Best wishes

Rimantas Zujus
Kaunas