From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2015 14:03:26 -0500
"..I assume you mean, monitoring hives and alternatives to chemical treatments..."

> IPM (Integrated Pest Management) does not mean alternatives to chemical treatments.

Of course it does. That's why it's called Integrated. The whole principal is based on using chemicals as a last resort. That's why I mentioned non-chemical methods first. These include breeding, drone trapping, screens, powdered sugar, small cells, etc. (this is not to say these will be effective; some claim they are).

I use resistant stock and management techniques such as splitting hives. If the mite numbers go up (they always do) I use formic acid. The last resort, in my arsenal, would be CheckMite (I have some, but ultimately, I may never use it). Another option, that Randy alluded to, is to get the sick hives out of the yard. These could be quarantined and/or eliminated.

See:
http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/factsheets/ipm.htm