Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2008 07:40:30 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
I love these discussions since they usually are hobby beekeepers giving commercial beekeepers advice on how to 
conduct their business.

Couple of truths.

If they followed the hobby model, they would go broke. I see new hobby beekeepers post here every year and I see 
many who once kept bees, no longer here. Yet, while they were here they had truth and justice on their side. You 
can read about commercial operations failing, because they are businesses. Hobby beekeepers go away not "with a 
bang but a whimper".

If breeding really works so well, where are the queens? The problem with breeding for specific traits is that 
other traits, just as important, can be lost. (BTDT) So if we want Varroa control, we already have a bee, which 
is AHB, as demonstrated by some of our SW US friends. But they bring along a load of other traits that do not 
fit the commercial pollinators blueprint. Plus, several of those commercial beekeepers who were managing AHB and 
touted as doing so successfully, no longer are. (Note that almost all of AHB management is in fixed locations 
and for honey, not pollination, so context is critical, but seldom brought up.)

Lots of the anecdotal findings on no-pesticide beekeeping posted here are just that. They lack any good science 
and especially lack controls. Plus, they extrapolate findings well beyond any reasonable limit. You do not have 
to look far for examples. But from those wild assumptions comes advice on how to run a 1,000 order of magnitude 
bigger business.

I have both a science and business educational background. It was interesting to listen, in both arenas, to 
those who had practical experience compared to those whose only background was academic. You could follow the 
advice of most who had experience, since it matched your observations in the world, but only a handful of those 
who eternally lived behind the cloistered walls were worth the bother.

Final truth. Were it not for the commercial side of beekeeping, there would not be any major science and 
research dedicated to beekeeping. They are the driving force behind finding solutions. We hobby snipers should 
be thankful for their existence as well as their unbelievable persistence in the face of tremendous obstacles.

I couldn't do it.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine

* General Information About BEE-L is available at: *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm   *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2