From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2015 23:38:43 -0500
​I have successfully achieved the designation of Master Beekeeper from the
Eastern Apicultural Society of North America, Inc.  Quite a mouthful, and
could be an impressive spot on my business card and resume.  Actually it's
not something I flaunt and in fact not something I often mention.  I was
one of 4 who passed the exam in 2000 at the EAS conference in Salisbury,
Maryland.  When I checked in for the exam, the proctor asked me if I had
been studying.  I honestly replied, "No.  Either you know the stuff or you
don't."

I don't recall who posted my success on BEE-L; it was not an announcement I
intended to make.  It's not that I am ashamed of the title, neither am I
boastful of the achievement.  To me the designation says I am a good exam
taker.  Surprisingly, one of the first responses came from a friend and
commercial beekeeper.  His response was, "If you want to call yourself a
Master Beekeeper, make a living keeping bees!"  Fifteen years later I am
approaching that goal.  The living is modest.

The EAS Master Beekeeper program was founded by Dr. Roger Morse at Cornell
University.  The intent of the program was to identify knowledgeable
beekeepers (individuals who *knew* bees - either you know it or you don't),
who also possessed good communication skill; the ability to competently
speak to the media and non-beekeeping community; beekeeping ambassadors who
could be tapped to address honey bee issues within the New York State
community.  Roger turned his program over to EAS.

When people ask me if they should take the EAS MB Exam I answer a question
with a question, "Why do you want to be a MB?"  Most want to take the exam
to prove they know their stuff so they can proudly wear a feather in their
cap.  I warn the feather seekers to be careful for what they wish.  I let
them know that there are expectations of public service that go along with
the achievement.  Having a MB feather in one's cap is like the elderly
person who keeps a Corvette in their garage.  If you want to be a MB, take
that fine machine out of the garage and burn up the highway!  Speak
publicly, write for local newspapers, ugly as it can be, get involved in
beekeeping politics, mentor beginner beekeepers!  Be a Master!

I have talked more than a few candidates out of taking the exam.  I
encourage those who envision the exam as the successful completion of a
self-educating regimen and who are not intimidated by the follow-up service
expectations.   I discourage those who want the feather.  Anyone can take
the EAS MB exam.  The requirements can be found at
http://www.easternapiculture.org/master-beekeepers/certification.html  The
requisite lessons can come from formal training or the school of hard
knocks.  Taking the exam also takes an EAS MB sponsor, one willing to vouch
for the candidate being a good prospect for the exam.  I am proud that my
sponsor was George Imirie!

There are four areas of the exam: written, lab, in-hive, and oral
interview.  One must pass all four areas; limitless retakes are allowed for
a candidate not passing any particular area.  Some may opine that the bar
is too low, and some may opine that there should be followup exams or
periodic re-certifications.  I would not argue those points.

But I don't know if this answers Christine's original question.  I have
always been somewhat skeptical that the public perception of the
designation meets the reality of the "merchandise".  I have know MBs who
simply are not comfortable with public speaking.  Though they gave correct
answers to the interview questions, the delivery was nervous and strained,
which should have disqualified the candidate as a public speaking honey bee
ambassador.  And I have seen beekeepers whose smoker I am not worthy to
light fail the exam!  So I am not sure what makes a master beekeeper.  I am
a fan of programs that teach apprentice, journeyman, master.  I think
confident communication skills are a must.  And I will not argue against
continued success at keeping one's beekeeping operation in the black, or at
least keeping one's bees alive and healthy year after year. I admit to
springs when I feel less than masterful.

Aaron Morris - i sum dignus