From:
Max Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 13:58:27 +0200
     Varroa will leave a dead bee as soon as it can and transfer to the
     nearest live host but if the whole colony is dead and there is no
     opportunity to jump onto healthy robbing bees, the mites die too
     eventually and usually fall off. However, they can live without food
     for some time so it depends on how long your wintered hive has been
     dead as to whether washing in alcohol shows mite infestation. Alcohol
     washing of recently dead bees certainly can give a good indication of
     infestation levels. But it's too late!

     Hope this helps

     Max