From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 21:33:54 EST
In a message dated 2/17/01 4:37:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< This year wether in Bosnia is changed to mediteranian. Temperature is vry
 high & bees have flight every day. They are coming back with pollen, but I
 saw lot of them dead around their hives. What is occur? I am very solicitous
 & don`t know what to do. >>

  Do the hives seem healthy otherwise?  Have you eliminated mites as a cause?
Remember that the bees which have overwintered are old. The hive should be
brooding up, but little or no new brood has emerged yet. These old bees, when
they have a few good days of flight, burn themselves out quickly. I have seen
this often, just after the first nice weather (and bloom) of spring.
Sometimes there are so many dead bees, one would think of a pesticide hit,
but pesticide use would be very uncommon at this time of year in this area.

Dave Green  South Carolina, USA
The Pollination Home Page: http://pollinator.com