From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:57:42 -0400
>   How many people know what it actually costs them to [roduce a pound of
> honey?

After being harassed by my customer, to once again lower the price of my
honey, I sat down to estimate the cost of production. I've ben at this long
enough to know my approximate costs for labor, fuel, insurances, etc, etc.
That total, divided by my average crop, gives a close approximation of my
cost per pound. Not included, are all the extra , unforeseen things that
come up...from cleaning materials to un-ordinary repairs, to too many
others to list. Not included is the increased price of diesel and heating
fuel.
         I figure is costs me $.65/lb to produce honey. My customer tells
me they can buy honey for $.77, bucket and delivery included, by the
tractor trailer load. When questioned, they claim it to be Vietnamese. I
doubt it, and feel it re-labeled Chinese, but that's another story.
         The truly sad part of the story is the packer price being offered
to US beekeepers for US honey. The one I called is offering $.66 for white.
So, with a 100,000 lb crop...considerably above my average, I can expect a
profit of $1000? What a slap! Good thing my honey is white this year.
They're only offering $.56 for Light Amber.

Mike