From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2008 20:04:22 -0500
Peter questions Bob's statement:
Bob:
> The final word from the USDA_ARS on "disappearing disease" was that it was
not caused by a pathogen but was a genetic problem.

I have been in beekeeping since the fifties. My ABJ collection dates to the
roaring twenties.

Quote from pg. 215 of the 37th edition of the ABC XYZ.( time period of the
phenomenon)   If the below is not good enough I can start pulling ABJ & BC
articles by both Rothenbuler & Wilson.

Pg. 215
"Dr. William T. Wilson , of the USDA ( known to Bob H. as "Bill" and the
lead USDA-ARS researcher on "Disappearing Disease") has suggested that the
CAUSE of "disappearing disease" is a GENETIC SHIFT in the honeybee
population. Undesirable GENES have caused a change in the physiology or
behavior of the bees. Dr. Wilson has undertaken EXTENSIVE RESEARCH  to test
his hypothesis."

With the above final word on "disappearing disease" ( after years of
research) one can easily see why today's researchers decided to call the new
problem other than "disappearing disease".

The similarities between "disappearing disease" and CCD are eerily similar.
Actually almost exactly the same!

To date CCD is simply a name for a set of symptoms with no single cause.

Not to be confused with nosema ceranae or the neonicotinoids. Which many of
us consider real problems but a few do not.

Also for Jim but I have posted same many times on BEE-L but here again:

Temik comes in a bag and is broadcast. Was originally a product of Union
Carbide then Bayer purchased the rights. Currently banned in the U.K.

Was one of the first systemic pesticides. Many reported problems in Florida
such as ground water contamination. Reportedly found in oranges and orange
juice but still legal to use in Jan. & Feb. at harvest time.

Many beeks in Florida report bee kills with bees in orange traced back to
temik use. Some growers still using as the first label read instead of doing
as the new label requires.

bob