From:
Lionel Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:28:05 -0500
Hi all,

I have one of these that is in real top notch condition.

I knew a hive was going to swarm a while back. I placed it on the front and
caught the queen whenever they swarmed, I placed the "DRONE" catcher, as it
was called many years ago, in a empty hive and vacuumed the rest of the
swarm from a limb and placed them inside the hive with the queen. Next day I
went to the yard to release her and low and behold, that girl had found the
opening, I guess, in the top of the cone and crawled to freedom. If I had
placed the catcher on the new hive as it was on the old hive and opened the
release door, she probably would have stayed, since she could not get thru
the excluder. Maybe next year I will try that method. Beekeepers tried to
get rid of free loading drones many years ago.

This was an item from my Dad's bees from the '50's.

Lionel