From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:17:38 -0600
Bob said:
> I know of several large migratory beekeepers which did not go to
California  this year.

Jim said:
Is this a re-focusing on honey production, prompted by the higher honey
prices created by the Chinese honey contamination, or is this a coordinated
attempt to gain better pollination fees for reliable providers of strong
hives?
The first would be a tragic error.

Severe draught in many areas of the best honey production with no end in
sight is resulting in many hives being sent to Almonds to help income. The
down side is what are you going to do with all the extra brood if you are in
an area of draught when the bees return. Put more hives on the ground to
cost money feeding?

When I was in California in December growers were crying about the cost of
pollination today. Hard to believe they will pay higher pollination fees but
maybe they will if desperate.

Many California growers also raise & sell raisens which sold below the cost
of production last year. Many are bulldozing their grape vines and putting
in Almonds which should effect Almond prices in the future (lower Almond
prices) and cause extra hives to be needed for pollination ( my opinion).

 Although the relationship between growers and beekeepers in California is
excellent now the out of state beekeeper will not come if the reason for
coming is not there. Friendship is friendship but business is business. One
very large grower/ Almond packer  said to me "every beekeeper which has been
coming but does not come this year will not pollinate Almonds in California
again". He was trying to get me in an augument. I had no comment much to his
dismay. What do the beekeepers on the list think ?

We go to Alomonds for reasons not outlined here. Talk between us is we may
not go to California next year and go back to the way we used to winter in
the south.

Jim said:
  The second would be a very interesting
tactic for a large beekeeper who could "afford" to skip a spring in almonds
given that last season's honey sales might have put him solidly in the black
for the first time in years.

   Almonds are not the big profit maker unless you live in California close
to the Almonds you pollinate. I know of no out of state beekeepers which are
solidly in the black. Has been interesting to see the area each beekeeper
has chosen to spend his/her windfall profits.

None I have talked to have chosen to save the profits for the next crisis.

Bob