From:
Jim Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 17:03:52 EDT
        Before switching to bare hands try disposible latex
gloves for a while. The thin surgical type gloves. They are sold
in pharmacy for about $6 for a box. They provide a much better
feel than leather gloves, though not perfect and provide an easy
way to remove any stingers should you be stung. You just pluck
the glove and the stinger is removed.

        I find them great when doing extracting and working with
hives with sticky propolis, your hands don't feel sticky at all.
When finished you just throw them away.

        Also, for some reason a agrivated bee on the back of a
hand is more likely to sting then on the latex glove.

        After a while your sense of touch will improve and you
will be less likely to agrivate the bees. Also occasionally a
glove will rip and you will find yourself working the bees with
"exposed flesh" and won't even get stung.

        I must admit as a second year beekeeper I'm still using
them most of the time. My frame manipulation technique needs a
bit more improvement before going with no gloves.

        Jim Moore