From:
Steve Petrilli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2016 21:10:33 -0400
Virtually any form of sugar (dry, wet or properly cooked) should suffice.   I have used them all.  Candy Board, Sugar Brick, Missouri Krabby Pattie which is a moistened form of sugar in a 1 gallon ziploc bag (yes, the name is from Spongebob Squarepants), dry sugar on paper (mountain camp method), and the commercially available "winter patties".    Only with the Candy board which pretty much covers all the frames do you not need to worry where the cluster is.   Most other methods, you need to make sure the insurance policy (supplemental feed) is above the cluster.  With any method, proper ventilation is key or condensation forming and dripping back on the cluster will chill and kill them as well.

I will attempt to attach some resized pics to show a couple of the methods (if I have resized them to make them small enough).

Steve
Central, IL