From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 20:44:06 -0500
Tom, I admire your enthusiasm. Over the years, I'm sure I've lost some of that
majical energy that folks newly bitten by the beekeeping bug possess. Although I
agree with you and the good doctor Pedro, I think you fail to understand the real
problem.
    Number one, we OLD beekeepers, (49 is old already?) have faced muchos
problemas. It seems every year brings them on in ever changing form. Some are
easily solved, while some take hard physical and mental work. We've learned that
shortcuts usually lead to cul de sac's. So when  someone comes along and says,
"all you gotta do is," bells and whistles and whizzers and zingers go off in our
heads. It's not that we're not open to new ideas. It's just that we've seen too
many new ideas come and go. Too many "all you gotta do's" blowing in the wind.
    Number two, many of us have invested everything we have in this occupation.
We have to go with what we know to work. We can't run the perfect operations so
many new to this dream about. We can't throw fistfulls of money at a problem. We
can't take chances. We can't risk our family's future on an "all you gotta do."
    I applaud all you beginners and back lotters. I applaud the doctor. At this
time you are the ones that may help us through this. I hope-no I pray that this
may be so. Please don't forget that without the wizdom of the "old ones" all youz
ones wouldn't have what you do!  Mike