From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2017 11:24:56 -0800
Listening to you two go at it is like listening to the current extremes in
U.S. politics : )  I generally question both of you.

>So when I see a researcher tell me there is no perk from say Tosylin in
feed,  and I see someone ( I will leave names out)  who has run 10,000
hives for 30 years tell me its an must after pulling honey,  Sorry  but
your researcher looses that IMO.

There is no researcher that I know of who would say that in the short term
that there wouldn't be a perk in feeding Tylosin if you had an operation
with a background level of AFB spores in the equipment.  I don't understand
why you'd put such words in their mouths.

That said, the prophylactic feeding of Tylosin IS NOT A MUST in Australia,
New Zealand, or Europe.  Nor is it in my own operation, and I've taken my
hives to almonds every year for the past 40-some years.

Antibiotics are precious drugs, whose effectiveness is lost if not used
judiciously.  Dumping it into all your hives every season is not
judicious.  And when you've then bred for Tylosin-resistant AFB, and spread
it to us in almonds,  you will have taken the value of that drug away from
the rest of us who might need it some day.

And Pete, Charlie's correct--have you seen a study that tested for benefit
of under supering on single brood chamber colonies with an excluder over
the brood chamber?  Only then could you correctly assert that there is no
research supporting bottom supering above single-broodnest hives (as is
practiced in most of Australia, and by a number of other commercial
operations whose own crude experimentation suggests that it is of benefit.
I'm not speaking rhetorically--I'd really like to know if you've found a
controlled trial that had been run.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA