From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:49:31 +0100
Hi Peter

> Compare: 69% infestation rate with screens, 70% without.

I am not "doing an advert" for "screened bottoms" (Open Mesh Floors), but I
would say that if you use them, any varroa that falls through is a dead
varroa and is out of the equation. That being said no one would claim that
is a method of varroa control "in itself".

The IPM figures that you quoted, seem to have been selected for their
lowness of effect, which is hardly good science. I have seen various figures
bandied about, but if you count the mites that fall you will find that about
65% of them are alive and the rest dead I would much sooner lose the live
ones for good, regardless of percentage.

I have been using this type of floor for nearly twenty years and I would be
unlikely ever to use a solid one in future.

Best regards & 73s... Dave Cushman G8MZY
Beekeeping & Bee Breeding Website
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman

---