From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:55:25 -0500
Barb asks "I have noticed what appears to be
green, mustard and  bright yellow colored "pollen" in the bee's baskets.
I did not think that this was possible so early in the year, before
flowers and trees begin to bloom.  Is this really pollen? I live in a
wooded area with farmland nearby."

Yes, Barb, it is really pollen.  At this time of year most of the pollen
comes from trees that are blooming; especially maples and willows.  These
"blossoms" are inconspicuous to you and me, but highly attractive to the
bees!  They yield copious amounts of pollen and modest amounts of nectar.

One of the joys of beekeeping is what you can learn about nature just by
watching bee behavior.  This summer, when you see the "winged" maple seeds
twirling to the ground you will be reminded of how important maple trees
(which people never think of as having flowers) are to the health of your
bees.

Lloyd

Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds(tm).  The finest in comb honey production.
http://www.rossrounds.com