From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:44:33 -0400
Greetings all,
     After I read the posts to the list, I went down to my local post
office, and had a chat with the postmaster.  He told me that they have
reached an arrangement whereby Fed Ex will put one of their boxes on the
post office property.  In exchange, he told me, Fed Ex will carry SOME of
the mail for the post office.  He seemed to think that it would not be all
of the mail though.  I expressed concern to him about our dilemna, and he
understood.  He was not sure if Fed Ex may relax their regulations on
carrying live animals. Maybe our best course of action would be to contact
the USPS, and see exactly what they are planning on doing, and if our
industy will be affected. Then, if Fed Ex is going to be the main carrier,
we could appeal to them, and explain our situation, and ask that they
reconsider their policy.  I dont think we will be able to get the USPS to
change it's plans though. It is my understanding from my postmaster, that
the commercial airlines are forcing the post office to take advantage of
this opportunity because of the problems the commercial airlines have with
getting mail where it is supposed to be.  We need to pull together though
to try to get some arrangement though, or we will all suffer.
Scott Moser