From:
Michael Moroney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 00:43:54 -0500
I mentioned earlier a colony of bees in an abandoned house I'd like to
hive somehow, since the simple fact they're alive suggests maybe they have
some varroa resistance.

I've decided to get a swarm trap with a pherome lure and set it up near the
colony in the wall of the abandoned house.  I'm hoping they'll swarm into it.
I guess unless I happen to see them swarm I'll have no idea what (if anything)
I catch.  I know of no kept bees in the area but it's a somewhat rural area so
there probably are some.

Any suggestions (placement, etc.) to maximize the odds I get a swarm from that
colony?

I'll check for varroa of course, and if I see an infestation I'll treat and
just consider them the same as any other infested colony, and nothing special.

-Mike