Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2018 06:42:23 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
a Peter Loring Borst snip followed by > my comments.. 
Looking back over what was said, I don't see where anyone disparaged any particular queen breeder. The discussion was about bees, and their temperament.

>Well I suggest you read ALL the remarks on this titled thread again Peter. You on the other hand only made a prior remark that did not connect up with what I had heard Danny Weaver say in a public meeting and only wished to correct your misunderstanding (presumption I would guess).  There were several other remarks that were a bit demeaning and to some degree inaccurate.  Science at it very core demands some degree of accuracy and reliability.

>As to defensive bees and breeding programs with a goal to correct a problem in mind.  Creating a new product is never easy and the road from start to finish is not a smooth 4 lane interstate highway.  Along the route problems are encountered and dealt with or the program fails. As to breeding bees you kind of deal with problems as they arrive since no degree of planning will remedy the problem. Certain in some years defensiveness is the issue and you deal with this via SELECTION.. a few years later deformed wing becomes a noticeable problem and you then deal with this via SELECTION.  MESSAGE... you don't go from fragile genetically weak bees that cannot defend themselves from varroa in one easy step.

>Bottom line (and from my own experience this has always been true)... you can pick out any given queen breeder and the behavior or qualities of that line of bees will vary (doesn't science tell you this is correct?) within years and between years.  

Gene in Central Texas...

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2