From:
Robert E Neely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 07:32:42 EDT
Hi Aaron:
I kept four hives on top of my home here in (at that time Charleston
County, SC) for over ten years. The temperature here can be over a
hundred degrees in the summer with humidity over 90%. In the summer I
placed a piece of 3/4 in plywood on top of outer cover. It extended about
5 to 6 inches overhang, held in place with a couple of bricks.
The roof was not completely flat, just enough pitch for the water to run
off. The hive stand was constructed so that the hives were nearly level
with a 3/4 inch forward pitch for the water to run out when it rains.
(You may have a problem with snow buildup in the winter.)
No one ever was stung in the yard during this time.

Give it a try.

Bob Neely
Goose Creek, SC