From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 23:16:21 EST
In a message dated 1/30/00 2:02:52 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<...The weird thing was, he's been stung by wasps/yellow jackets without
incident.  Earlier in the the summer, he was stung ... with average swelling
reaction.>>

    Wasps/yellow jackets have a completely different kind of venom. I had a
reaction to being stung by a yellowjacket this summer nearly as disturbing as
the one experienced by your father. Rash, hives, swelling, dizziness
(indicates dropping blood pressure). I decided to go in for desensitization
shots. I post what follows because I think it might be valuable for some to
understand what happens when one undergoes desensitization treatment:
    The allergist screens for sensitivities to stinging insect venom to
obtain a medical diagnosis of an allergy. They test here in Eastern Mass. for
honey bee, wasp, yellow jacket, white-faced wasp and yellow wasp. The
methodology is that they give you shots just underneath the skin of the arm
at progressively increased amounts of venom and then check for a reaction
(redness with a hive). The amount of venom is very low, maybe one percent of
a real sting. Surprisingly, I reacted to honey bee and yellow jacket venom —
even though I was stung upwards of 2 dozen times last year by honey bees,
sometimes multiple times. I always have a local reaction, but nothing that
would signal the onset of shock. This indicates to me that the test results
are not reliable.
    My postive reactions to the shots (some redness and itchiness that
disappeared before the next round of shots) were mild I was told, not strong
enough to show a great danger of anaphylactic shock. The doctor said he was
recommending I undergoe the shots for yellow jacket venom more on the basis
of my description of the event last summer. He also recommended I get the
treatment for the honey bee too, just to be safe.
    The shots are weekly for 15 weeks and take you up to a dosage equivalent
to 2 insect stings. Therafter a maintenance shot must be taken every 6 weeks.
The allergist's caveat was that no one, not even me with my shots, is
completely safe from anaphylactic shock. He said he had treated beekeepers
who had keep bees for decades who had suddenly had a severe reaction.
    The hardest thing about the shots is that you have to go in each week,
get the shot and sit for half an hour so they can watch you for an unexpected
reaction. Makes the work day even longer. What a buzz hassle, but it's worth
it.