From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2010 14:31:10 -0400
Penncap was an unmitigated disaster for beekeepers. I am old enough to remember that one.

> The microencapsulated formulation of methyl parathion, known as Penncap-M is highly toxic to foraging bees, young hive bees, and brood. Overall, it is 13 times more hazardous to honey bees than the EC (emulsifiable concentrate) formulation. Penncap-M is too hazardous to be applied to any area or within 1 mile of any area where and when bees are present.

Dean K. McBride, Extension Entomologist
North Dakota State University

* * *

> Bees may be killed while foraging on blooming plants that have been treated by certain pesticides. The greatest hazard, however, is from insecticides, such as carbaryl (Sevin), Penncap-M and others, that may be unintentionally carried with pollen back to the hive.

> Penncap-M is a microencapsulated formulation of methyl parathion. Microencapsulation allows the chemical to be released slowly over a period of several days, thereby increasing the residual activity of the material and significantly reducing the toxicity and hazard to the applicator. The microcapsules are approximately the same size as many pollen grains. Therefore, Penncap-M applied to sweet corn that is shedding pollen or to other plants in bloom, may be gathered by foraging bees and carried back to the hive and fed to other members of the colony. Such exposures have resulted in the loss of a few bees and sometimes in the death of entire hives. Dust and wettable powder formulations of other insecticides may be carried back to the hive in a similar fashion.

> In Connecticut, Penncap-M can legally be used on tree fruits only for the control of San Jose scale, and on whorl stage sweet corn only for the control of first generation European corn borer. The material can be used on sweet corn only between January 1st and June 30th, inclusively. Penncap-M applications should not be made to fields and orchards when: honeybees are foraging, fruit trees are blooming, groundcover or bordering plants contain more than five flowers per square yard, or when sweet corn tassels and silks are present.

Protecting Honey Bees From Pesticide Poisoning
Roger G. Adams IPM Coordinator, Department Of Plant Science
Candace Bartholomew Agriculture Agent, Pesticide Applicator Training Agent