From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2007 08:41:13 -0400
Peter Edwards wrote:
> Could be bad news for NZ beekeepers - no doubt it will soon be
> manufactured for far less than the £12 per lb that manuka fetches
> round here!
>
> Presumably we can now find out if other honeys contain methylglyoxal.

Might want to go slow on that.

http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/29/16/3433

To quote a paragraph form the article:

"Moreover, methylglyoxal reacts with free amino acids (16
<http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/29/16/3433#GKE465C16>,17
<http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/29/16/3433#GKE465C17>)^
and Arg and Lys residues in proteins under physiological conditions^ to
form advanced glycation end products (18
<http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/29/16/3433#GKE465C18>,19
<http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/29/16/3433#GKE465C19>),
which play^ an important role in the pathophysiology of aging and
diabetic^ complications (20
<http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/29/16/3433#GKE465C20>,21
<http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/29/16/3433#GKE465C21>).
It was also reported that the concentration^ of methylglyoxal in blood
is elevated in diabetes mellitus patients^ (22
<http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/29/16/3433#GKE465C22>--24
<http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/29/16/3433#GKE465C24>).
Thus, the reactions of methylglyoxal with proteins^ as well as DNA may
cause many age-related human diseases."

You can buy it from some places as an alternative medicine on line.

The NIH has lots of articles on it especially as a bacteria produced
toxin. Most of the articles relate to a go slow approach to its use as a
dietary supplement. I would be hesitant to want higher concentrations of
it in food since it can cause problems, as noted. It could be a drawback
for consumption of certain honey.

My guess is it is a byproduct of the reaction between bacteria and the
peroxide produced by the normal breakdown of the honey/water interface.
The researchers might be looking at the effect, not the cause. Bacteria
do release it as a toxin.Peroxide is a natural bacteria killer while,
from my reading of the NIH articles, bacteria have developed protective
processes for handling methylglyoxal, since they produce it.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine