From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 12:30:40 -0700
John Caldeira wrote:

> What is good way to kill africanized bees in a hive while leaving the combs
> in usable condition?

> John Caldeira
> Dallas, Texas, USA

Hi, BeePeople -
While catching up on my email, I noticed that this thread has generated the same
response prob half the time - namely, "Don't kill the bees" or "why do you want
to kill the bees". Let me put my 2 cents in ..... Africanized colonies , we have
found, are very difficult to requeen. It all boils down to "how many mated
queens are you willing to sacrifice" to keep one bucketfull of bees alive. While
the attempt is being made, the bees tempers do not change, so you need a secure
location while you try. Usually, if neighbors are an issue, I feel it best to
clean out the colony (a beevac or shopvac) reload with known bees or stack on a
colony that needs the room, and move on.

-- Opinions are mine - John
John F. Edwards
Carl Hayden Bee Research Center
Tucson, Arizona 85719