Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2018 06:05:59 -0400
Rep McGee one of the sponsors is adding the word voluntary to the bill

"There is way too much confusion and misunderstanding regarding this bill.

First of all, the bill was only passed in committee. It has not reached the floor of either the Senate or the Assembly, and has not been voted on by either house.

It is still in the stages of discussion and amendment. The original bill – S.8274- A.10362- did not state that a registry would be “mandatory” as the reporter and some beekeepers seem to perceive.

I don’t think they actually read the bill-

http://nyassembly.gov/leg/? default_fld=%0D%0A&leg_video=& bn=S08274&term=2017&Summary=Y& Actions=Y&Committee% 26nbspVotes=Y&Floor% 26nbspVotes=Y&Text=Y

So the bill has not been passed, only moved from one committee to another.

Due to the misconceptions, ( which probably stem from a bill in the past which would have required registration, but was repealed,) there are amendments being made to the new bill to state that registration will be voluntary.

The purpose of a (voluntary) registration program is to give the Cornell bee program the tools they need to track bee diseases across the state, and relay information back to the beekeeping community.  The bill provides for a method of informing beeks about the program, and gives them the opportunity to participate. There are no fees, and no repercussions for non-compliance written into the language of the bill.

The bill is currently being amended to add the word VOLUNTARY to the language where it would be appropriate. I can have copies of the re-write available at the next meeting Tuesday, or email them if you prefer.

I think that will be more clear to everyone; understanding that we all have enough to keep up with, and that some may enjoy participating on a higher level where others may barely have time to keep track of their smoker. J

Thanks for spreading the word, and you may pass this along with my contact info., I will be happy to talk to anyone else who has suggestions or thoughts regarding this, and pass their ideas along as well.

The revised bill will be forthcoming, as I said, they are still working on it.

Much appreciation,

Laura

Laura Martino
District Director
Assemblyman Bill Magee
Oneida District Office (315)361-4125
Albany LOB (518)455-4807                              "