From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:09:13 EDT
In a message dated 4/10/00 8:47:26 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< I used many posts from the BeeList for articles in the newsletter. In
every case when I quoted directly, I got permission first and gave the
poster- if he agreed- credit. >>

   This seems a very good issue to talk about, because each of us that posts
to Bee-l is publishing an article that will exist in what amounts to a public
record long after we are gone.
   First, you may be confusing what a quote is vs. republishing. If you pick
up an entire article and reprint it, you are republishing it and ought to get
permission. If you print part of what somebody said or wrote, you are
quoting. If you pick up most of an article as a long quote, it's a gray area
between republishing and quoting. It's a judgment call. It helps if you put
the quoted material in quotes. I've justed started doing that on my long
quotes.
   Permission is not necessary to quote somebody who said something in a
public place (like bee-l). Some people seem to think permission is required.
No. You've said it in public and it's out there, influencing people's
opinions and behaviors forever.
   It would be very bad form though to quote a private conversation in a
public forum without letting you know I was quoting you first.
   I've exchanged emails with researchers privately that I thought offered
some very good information or raised important points that i wanted to
discuss with b-eel subscribers, but when asked, they said no. In that case, I
ask if there is another source (published) that I can go to for an
authoritative quote, or I try to bring the issue up on my own in a credible
way that will merit consideration and a response from bee-l subscribers.