From:
J&S Maus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 19:01:00 -0500
Hi Ben....
I know exactly what you are talking about with the aggression. My experience
was not with the Russians but with another pure strain of Carniolans.
A fellow I used to work for several years ago raises queens to sell in the
spring and also requeens his commercial operation.  That year and for 2
years
or better afterward he had the nastiest, sassiest bees. They behaved just
the way
you described.....in your hair for no reason, jumping out at you when
opening the
hive, etc. This problem is caused from the mixing of bee stocks.
Bro. Adam always advised to use Carniolan drones in the first cross if I
remember correctly. If Italian drones mate with the first generation
Carniolan queens
(Russian in this scenario) you have quite a bit of aggression as you are
experiencing.  Your story will likely be echoed some more before this summer
is
finished, since the nastiness is not pronounced until the colonies get up to
strength. The big thrill is taking honey off with the nasty buggers!!!
I would advise either moving them away from town or taking the hit and
requeening with nicer tempered stock...... thats the only way to change the
nasty temper until the producers breed it out.
Jim Maus