Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:14:08 -0400
What happens to the bees if a person uses confectioner's sugar with corn
starch in it rather than powdered sugar, which is 100% sugar? I cannot
find regular powdered sugar in the stores lately.
For the past few years the sugar dusting has been my primary treatment
for mites, along with screened bottom boards and ventilated covers. This
year I've added drone frames for drone trapping, but they are not all
drawn out nor have drone larva on them. Now I am stalled. I really avoid
chemical treatments and even the soft treatments. I did mite counts
recently and found from 1 to 6 on the selected colonies (11 colonies),
except on a new colony from an early spring package from Georgia where I
counted 16. I want to dust them all now. I haven't gotten to the out
apiaries to count mites there due to other circumstances.

The honey flow is essentially over. The bees brought no honey into the
supers this season.