From:
Ted Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:52:01 -0400
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 05:38:49 -0600, Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>An emergency room nurse told me heart attack symptoms are expressed in
many
>ways other than pain directly over the heart. A sharp pain in the shoulder
>blade is common. Symptoms can vary with disease making diagnosis hard.

Hi Bob,

One unusual symptom of CCDD seems to be the lack of robbing by other
insects for a period of time. On hearing this I immediatly thought of cows
that die from eating Hemlock. Hemlock is a very poisonous plant that grows
along creeks etc. in our area. Around this time of year a cow may eat some
Hemlock root while rustling for shoots of grass and get poisoned. Ranchers
always know the cause when no coyote or crow will eat the carcass. Somehow
they smell the poison.

In an earlier email you said:

"If a huge amount of virus contamination is on the comb then the next swarm
will crash earlier  than the normal four months of intense brood rearing."

I am not sure what you meant by this. Are you saying comb can become
contaminated with virus? I had thought viruses needed a host to live(if
viruses really are alive). I have had hives crash from varroa and re-used
the equipment with no noticable problem.

While on the topic of poisonous plants I wanted to mention Mountain Pine
Vetch that also grows in my area. It is poisonous to bees. I have been
keeping bees in this area since 1984. For the first few years I noticed
when I moved bees to the top end of one valley they always dwindled. I put
it down to elevation and cold nights so stopped moving them up so early.
But one spring the bee inspector came driving in that way and noticed a
lot of Mtn. Pine Vetch blooming ( blooms in May). He told me research has
shown this vetch is poisonous to bees.

Ted