Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:59:15 GMT
>>So what has AHB become them, the new nomenclature or
simplistic word for nothingmore then hot bees...

I know identifying AHB precisely is problematic.  On the other hand, when long time beekeepers report getting dozens of stings while picking berries some 40-50 ft away from the hives, that's a new development for sure and reason for concern.

Here in suburbia, I follow the 'Good Neighbor Policy' and keep my hives conservatively 15 ft from my property line on both sides to minimize bee contact with my neighbors.  I can imagine the uproar if one of neighbors received dozens of stings from an overly defensive hive!  Sorry but I won't have it.  I might think differently if my hives were in an isolated spot and all the exposure was on me.

>>If this being true, then the now similar German Black bees
could be said to be AHBs, or whatever....

AHB can come in different temperaments.  I am only talking about [any race] overly defensive colonies.

>>...but is this fair to those living in so-called AHB territory if they have never seen the so-called changes in behaviour in their hives?

I am not critical of how you keep bees in Arizona.  Far from it.  I've seen several reports of gentle AHB/Scuts but most reports in bee media say the classic AHB response is very defensive and it's tough to breed it out.

I don't know the genetics of your bees but if they are not overly defensive then that's wonderful.  I've heard Buckfast bees from one of the AHB states can be very hot in the Northeast which has not been the case prior to the AHB arrival.

>>...this fair trade practice to beekeepers in so-called AHB areas if they then cannot practice business/farming as normal

Please don't misunderstand.  I said I would never keep AHB.  I was talking about the classic overly defensive behavior.  And I live and keep bees in a densely populated area.

Waldemar