From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2012 08:42:40 -0400
I've posted this before, but this screened bottom board that is intended for controlling small hive beetle works REALLY well for formic treatment:

http://www.gabees.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=31_62&products_id=198

It is very easy to slide the tray in and out, yet the design makes it virtually watertight (i.e. no rain gets in from the rear entrance), so no need to seal the entrance.  I went over to this for all of my hives (12).  Just remove the slotted SHG trap from the tray.  I put the formic on folded paper towels, which are then used for the count.  Buy my formic (95%) on Amazon, which also is where I got the drench gun.

Note: If you used a different type of pad, one that was more absorbent, then you would not even have to remove the SHB trap component.  Since I just use paper towels, there would be some drippage down thru the trap to the tray below, which would allow some of the formic acid to pool and reduce evaporation.  By putting the paper towel directly on the bottom of the tray, the formic is dispersed across the whole paper towel for best evaporation.

I have not had to deal with SHB (yet), so I don't know how effective the board and tray system is for that pest.  If it works, you get double duty from one IPM tool.

P.S.  I got most of my info a few years ago from the link to Jean-Pierre's Apinovar website that Allen provided.  One of the best bee-links on which I have clicked and, again, thanks, Allen.

Bill
Claremont, NH
+43° 21’  -72° 23’
+43.35     -72.38