From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 22:36:23 -0500
>Hidere!
>
>   I was just out in my workshop/garage cleaning up the hive equipment
>for spring, and found the consequences of not using para crystals on
>hive bodies and honey supers over the last year.  Lots of wax moth
>damage, (plus a mouse nest or two.)  I guess I deserve it for not taking
>precautions, but here I am.
>
>Question:  How much of this will a strong hive clean up?  Should I
>pitch/burn them all, or can I  just scrape them clean and replace with
>foundation?
>
>Ideas?
>
>Gerry Visel
>Winnebago, IL

Gerry-

Three years ago I pulled out of my garage attic frames that had been up
there for years. I had both deep brood and medium honey combs that were
totally destroyed by moths. Frames having holes in them and edges being
scalloped. I made new hive bodies but I reused all the frames. I put all
new foundation in and cleaned the frames up the best I could and I never
had any problem with the bees accepting them. For what's it's worth, that's
my experience.

Barry Birkey
West Chicago, Il.  USA