From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 08:00:45 -0500

> I just finish reading " Evils of the Double Deep"

Evil, eh? I say ridiculous. Want more ridiculous? Read "Nectar
Management" in pov on BeeSource.com
> full drawn cluster wil have a problem with "the break in functional comb"
> and latter a problem when deciding where to place the winter cluster.

Right...bees have a problem deciding?? And a bee space will cause that
problem?

> In the double deep, during the white wax flow, the colony stores winter
> rations.
Now which "white wax flow" would that be? The spring nectar flow from
Dandelion? The main flow? The Fall flow? During each there is "white
wax" being made. Are my bees storing winter honey from dandelion? Not if
there are ample supers on the colony.
> They often treat the gap in functional comb between deeps as the
> dividing line between stores. Some will fill the upper with capped honey,
> and some will fill the lower with pollen.
So with a "gap" between hive bodies, one body becomes dis-functional??
>   This pushes the brood into the
> other box. In both cases the brood nest is competing with winter stores for
> space.
For sure if your broodnest isn't large enough there will be competition
for comb space between brood rearing and storage of winter stores. Hence
a food chamber on top of the double deep.
>   This restricts brood nest expansion in the fall when they need to be
> rearing young bees for wintering.

Brood nests expanding in the fall? Juanse, I run several hundred
colonies on two deeps and a medium. I winter in northern Vermont. My
bees have no problem raising large populations for winter and packing
away ample honey for winter....and they have 2 gaps. I weigh every
colony in my operation about October 1 with a target weight of about 155
lbs meaning 80 pounds of stores. Many colonies' broodnests at that time
are overweight...with well more than 100 pounds of stores. They winter
with large clusters and come out of winter with large clusters.
> I search bee-l for "functional comb" and "gap between frames"  with no
> results.

I doubt you will find this anywhere but in Wright's manuscripts...in
which he says "all the experts and scientists don't know what they are
talking about". Everyone has it all wrong. Only Walt Wright knows.
>   does this gap really exist for the bees as a "break", or they can
> handle it quite acceptable while they build "a ladder" with brace comb?

I don't believe such a gap problem exists. Do your bees have a problem
crossing over into the next body up? Do they have a problem crossing
over the space between honey supers? I believe he claims there's also a
problem when the bottom box has 10 frames and the super has 9. It seems
the bees get confused with the jog around an out of line bottom bar.
Really??
While a I agree that some bees will center their broodnest in the bottom
box and some in the top brood box, it has nothing to do with a bee space
between boxes. All colonies are different and proceed differently. It
seems to me that this evil langstroth double deep idea is Walt Wright
designing a scenario to fit his nectar management, checkerboarding
agenda. But then, he keeps bees in Tennessee and I in Vermont.