From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:23:16 -0500
The whole field of understanding host and microbe interactions is opening up. Further, there is accumulating evidence that some microbes, particularly viruses, can genetically modify their hosts in a variety of ways

> Arthropods are frequently infected with one or several micro-organisms, serving as micro-ecosystems in which multiple interactions can take place. These micro-organisms include disease agents and symbiotic micro-organisms.

> The latter are usually vertically transmitted and can have a broad spectrum of effects on their hosts, ranging from reproductive manipulations to protection against natural enemies. These interactions may directly or indirectly alter the biology of many arthropods in agriculturally, medically and ecologically relevant ecosystems.

> Many insects, and recently also mites and nematodes, have been found to be infected, displaying a wide range of effects. We discuss examples of arthropod-micro-organism interactions and effects, which could have consequences for the practical application of arthropods in biological control.

> Symbiotic micro-organisms can also be involved in host protection against natural enemies such as parasitoids, pathogenic bacteria, fungi and viruses.

> Symbiotic bacteria can influence the vectorial capacity of disease-vectoring arthropods and may be very helpful in decreasing the transmission of disease agents.

Arthropod symbioses: a neglected parameter in pest- and disease-control programmes
Renate Zindel, Yuval Gottlieb and Alexandre Aebi
Journal of Applied Ecology 2011, 48, 864–872