Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:48:37 -0500
John Mitchell asks:  "When Danka saysWhen Danka says nonproductive does that
apply to the time after the invasion when the colony becomes a fully
functioning Cape bee colony?"

I read the article on the Internet (ABC news) and here is my interpretation:
The European Honey Bee (or AHB) colony becomes non-productive.  I think he was
talking about the colony that was "under attack" by the Cape bees becoming
non-productive.  Cape bees are a specialty of some beekeepers in Africa and
the impression I got is that a Cape bee colony is productive.  I don't know
how they compare to EHB production, though.  From what I have read, EHB is
supposed to be the most productive honey bees that there are.  That's why they
were imported into Asia...because they produced more than Apis cerana.  I
thought that's the reason given by some for the Varroa mite jumping host.

Layne Westover
College Station, Texas, U.S.A.

(sorry if I messed up a little on the quote at top)