From:
kirk jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2012 06:01:38 -0800
I have noticed new species in my own environment arrive with a bang (large populations at first) and then gradually diminish with passing years.

Tracheal mites- kicked our butts (large hive losses) and gradually becoming less of a problem.

Mexican bean beetles(look like lady bugs)- they were so thick that they filled the windows between the panes and infiltrated my house.

Hive beetles- seem to be less of a problem now. Not as many as when they first infiltrated our hives and honey house.

I can think of more examples and I'm sure most of you can. I mention it as the thought occurred to me reading my Bee-l digest this morning in re: to hive beetles. It was Howard from Hawaii who wrote:

<<I'm hearing numbers of 100 sterile to 1 non-sterile. In Hawaii,
the hives are already loaded with SHB - one hive I have I trapped 1,000
and estimated at least another 600 or so in the hive.>>

I wonder when we'll say the same of Varroa mites? Maybe it will take a couple more generations of beekeepers.

Btw, in the Florida panhandle, we are having the warmest winter I can remember.

Kirk Jones

Sleeping Bear Farms   beekeepers making honey...
St. Ambrose Meadery/Winery- sister business of Sleeping Bear
Benzie Playboys           cajun and zydeco band........
Beekeeping Journal Blog   thoughts on beekeeping
Facebook for Kirk
Facebook for the Benzie Playboys