Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 2011 11:39:07 -0400
At this point, I am 22 days into observing daily mite drops and recording
my progress and observations daily at http://honeybeeworld.com/diary/
starting just before a fall oxalic vapor treatment.

Inasmuch as the project is a continuation of what we have been discussing
here and a compilation of things I have dug up and things I have learned,
both about mites and my own powers of observation, I thought I'd
mention it again.

It began with my thinking that I was not seeing mites as expected in early
October, then seeing a few, then refining both my methods and
understanding over time.  I had a few surprises along the way and
some of my observations and findings along the way may be quite
illuminating for those trying to understand varroa drops.  Maybe not.
Anyhow I did a lot of writing and for those with limited time, but some
interest, I recommend skimming through, rather than reading it all.
The odyssey spans three diary pages.

Daytime temperatures were up to 20 degrees C at the beginning, and
the morning temperature today was minus 16 degrees Celsius (-4F).
We now have an inch of snow, but I'm still reading the boards daily
and seeing a pattern.  There is still brood in some hives, or was yesterday.

I expect to blast with oxalic vapor again soon.

Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada  T0M 1Y0
51°33'39.64"N  113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/