From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2014 06:52:14 -0800
> Just wondering if there are some real

> success stories out there or if just wishing and hoping going on??

The Russian and VSH breeder programs use zero treatments, so those bees
must exhibit real life success.

Clearly *some* success elsewhere.  I've personally seen colonies that could
keep varroa down to very low levels.

Of late, I've had a few beekeepers across the country sending me
verification via regular mite washes.  It appears that their "survivor"
stocks indeed keep mites to the 5% or below range.

The problem always is in the dilution of desirable traits in open mating,
when there is so much propagation of treated stock around (I'm guilty of
this).  However, I will say that in my own operation, the mite numbers
suggest that my bees are slowly making progress against varroa--at my
yearly breeder selection, my cutoff acceptable mite level has gotten lower
and lower over the years.

The reality check is that all of my breeders this last summer required mite
treatment at some point.  So I am certainly in no position to crow about
having fully mite resistant stock, despite years of selective breeding, and
of bringing in known resistant breeders.

Despite varroa resistance being such an elusive goal (much more difficult
to breed for than anything before), having observed truly resistant
colonies, the possibility of eventually reaching that goal keeps me going.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA