From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 18:54:52 +0100
On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, James Peterson wrote:

> I recieved a "swarm call" today and when I got there the wife
> said that a great number of bees disappeared into a crack in
> the wall.  Sure enough there are bees going in  and out of a
> crack in the brick wall.  I removed a brick and discovered it
> to be just the entrance to a hive in the wall some where.

If they've _just_ gone in (new swarm today), then you may be
able to drive them out with lots of smoke, then capture them
when they settle again. They should regroup nearby.

> I have read about mounting a hive on the wall and covering the
> entrance of the wall hive with bee escapes.....

> Has anybody had experience with this procedure?

I tried it just the once (20 foot up), but without success. I
couldn't get the escapes attached to the wall in any way that
stopped the bees finding a way past them. Screwing a clearer
board type structure to it might work. I was unable to do that
as the bees were going in & out via a pipe outlet.

Regards,
--
Gordon Scott   [log in to unmask]      [log in to unmask] (work)
The Basingstoke Beekeeper (newsletter)      [log in to unmask]