From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:54:21 -0500
Hello Frank and All,
Frank wrote concerning the Lusbys success:
  It could equally well be that their breeding program has been  very
successful and that small celled comb is irrelevant, no?

I always look for the simple explanation first and then look at the complex
answer. I believe there are some logical explanations for the Lusby success
other than small cell size  like Frank.

I will only touch on one aspect in this post but I could point to many
possible reasons for their success other than cell size.

At the Savannah ABF convention Dr. Gloria DeGrandi-Hoffman head of the
Tucson Bee lab reported  strong capensis traits being by the bee lab in the
feral bees of Arizona.

 Capensis are not aggressive bees which would explain Allen Dicks Arizona
observations.

Capensis are black in color which would explain the dark color Dee breeds
for.

We know capensis
were released in Brazil by Dr. Kerr which would explain the capensis genes
showing up in Arizona.

Capensis laying worker traits ( thelytoky)are reported as common in Dees
bees. Also reported by the bee lab as common in the feral colonies of
Arizona from which Dee and Ed get swarms.

 Dee reports a shorter duration of the post capping stage in her bees.
Capensis has the shortest duration of any race of bee (19 days) which most
( all studies I have looked at about 80% for to 20% against the concept as
post capping time being the reason) researchers believe is why capensis
handles varroa the best of the African bees .

All researchers I have talked to are in agreement capensis handles varroa
the best  but still argue about why EVEN THOUGH MANY POINTS ARE UNIQUE TO
CAPENSIS.

The two points most argued are cell size and post capping time with a few
growth hormone people.

We simply do not know the answer or at least not enough *proof* for the
researchers. Possibly the answer is a combination of all three.

Could capensis genes explain some of Dees success? I believe it could.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison