From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2010 13:28:36 -0600
Roger asked:
> What do you all do with diseased comb on plastic?

Depends on the disease. I used Clorox solution last year on nosema ceranae
spores but I had deadouts this spring with high spore counts in many of
those same boxes so I am going
to fumigate with acetic acid ( like used in Europe) this spring.

 Just scrap it off and
> reuse?

I toss old foundation on a special pallet and when the wax becomes brittle
I scrap. I box and then recoat with wax and place back in service. In the
field I simply scrap off unwanted drone comb back to the foundation. If too
much drone comb ( half the frame etc.) I punch out the foundation and insert
a new foundation and let the bees draw out.

>If you throw away,

I do not know if the correct way but I only toss foundation if warped. A
slight warp can * at times * be reused. I have too burn barrels outside my
shop and I burn warped plastic foundation and there is little left. Once a
year I get a large trash container in and dump my barrels in the container
for the land fill. Once I decide a foundation is warped or cracked then into
the burn barrel it goes.

I think it might be "greener" to burn first than simply send the sheet to
the land fill intact.

 so that the comb is not accessed by other bees
> in the process?

To my knowledge only my bees are in my area so I do put foundation with
honey on them out for the bees to clean up. In fact I am so "tight' I put
everything with honey on it out for my bees to clean up including all
extracting equipment which I can unhook and move outside with the forklift.
If I spill some honey I scoop up and place outside for the bees. Scrap comb
from cutting comb honey. I hate to see a single drop of honey wasted!

bob